Karst Traditional Cuisine
Products and recipes
- Tabor cheese - made from milk produced by cows fed with the Karst's grass and hay, which give it a peculiar aroma.
- Jamar cheese - aged for 6 months in a Karst cave, it has a hard crust, an intense taste and a crumbly consistency.
- Karst raw ham - obtained from hogs bred in the wild and salted using exclusively natural products, it has a softer consistency and a sharp taste.
- Fancli s duso (pancakes with a soul) ancient poor cuisine recipe from the village of Kontovel: savoury pancakes having anchovy as their main ingredient.
- Carso Terrano DOC - ruby red colour, distinguishing scent, dry, pleasantly slightly sour, full-bodied flavour; ideal with Karst hams and traditional products.
- Carso Vistovska DOC - characterized by a straw-yellow colour, a fine and delicate scent, a dry, fresh and balanced flavour; well matched with fresh appetizers, white meat courses, raw fish.
- Presnitz - probably hailing from Hungary, made of puff pastry, sugar, walnuts, pine nuts and almonds.
- Putizza - risen dough cake with an elaborate filling, consisting also of rum, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg.
- Karst custard pie - made up of as many as three layers, it distinguishes itself for its big size; its ingredients include milk, egg yolk, flour, vanilla, with the addition of some wine.
- Acacia, marasca cherry, honeydew, multi-flower Karst honey - a small territory capable of producing, thanks to its rich biodiversity, so many honey types, each one having its own specific features but all of them characterized by a high mineral, enzyme and herb content.